Help me pick the best headphones or earphones for gaming and listening to music. This is one of the common questions we get from audiophiles who are serious about gaming and music. It is true that headphones come in many varieties, from earbuds to over-ear headphones, but we are here to demystify them for you. Keep reading to understand the different categories, their pros and cons, and finally, pick the best option.
Top Headphones on the Market: A Deeper Look
The most important thing to consider when choosing a pair of headphones is the type. So, here are the leading categories that you should consider:
Also referred to as earbuds, in-ear headphones are the most portable categories of the three main types of headphones. To use them, you insert the buds inside the ear canal, implying that they plug well and can block most of the background noises. Most people love them because they can easily be tossed into their pockets and drawn for use anytime, whether in a public transport bus or when playing games at home. Check out the main pros and cons of in-ear headphones:
- Impressive noise cancelation abilities.
- Compact design makes them easy to carry.
- Fits well with active lifestyles, from listening to music on a smartphone to gaming.
- In-ear headphones get tangled pretty easily.
- They can easily be damaged when tossed into the pocket together with other items, such as keys.
- Poor sound quality, especially bass, because of the small size.
If you are looking for better sound quality, especially for gaming aficionados, it might be a good idea to do away with the in-ear headphones and grab a pair of on-ear models. On-ear headphones, also known as supra-aural headphones, are designed to sit directly on the ears and with a band that runs over or behind your head. When you compare them with over-ear models, supra-aural designed headphones are smaller and lighter. You can also get them in two types, open-back and closed-back.
- More compact compared to earbuds.
- Impressive sound quality because they are large.
- Excellent for gaming and listening to music, especially when targeting stronger bass.
- Can interfere with one’s hair.
- Their bass is less powerful compared to over-ear headphones.
- Carrying them can be challenging because you need to always have a case or bag.
Over-ear headphones, also known as circumaural headphones, are designed to encircle the ears as opposed to sitting on them. This means that there is a small space left for the sound to travel between the speakers and your ear. Because of this design, circumaural headphones make music or games feel natural. You feel like you are actually in the jungle hunting the monsters in a game or in a live performance room. This is why they are preferred by music producers, recording professionals, and individuals who want to get the best from music.
- Comes with the best sound quality of the three main categories of earphones.
- Excellent noise isolation when listening to music or playing games.
- Impeccable bass and loudness.
- Their large size makes them less portable.
- They are the most expensive of the three categories.
- The large size makes it challenging to carry them around.
These are the main categories of headphones, but they are not the only ones. For example, if you want to get a greater sense of freedom when listening to music or playing games, a wireless pair of headphones might be a great choice. If you opt for wireless headphones, ensure they come with a good Bluetooth signal range and long battery life.
To make your life more enjoyable, you should add to your bag a good pair of headphones, and we have given you a head start on how to pick the best. Check the pros and cons of each and go for the model that perfectly matches your needs and lifestyle.